Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Story in a Picture

 5-Part Story Assignment






Audition Assignment

Below are portfolio pages and some roghs













My story is about a boy who dreams to be a space hero fighting with aliens. In a coincidence, he discovers a real alien outside his room, but the alien does not look evil at all. Then, the boy meets the space hero he respects the most, but it turns out that the hero is a treasure hunter who kills innocent aliens. At last, the hero ironically falls into the trap set up to capture alien.

I spent a lot of time rethinking the story, not less than the time painting. The story was totally different at the beginning. My first thought was a story about a girl and a wanted robot who died from protecting the girl. Then, I changed the story to a scientist who did not like his robot very much. But I still could not solve the story so I changed it again to a boy and a space police. Finally, I changed the character into a cute alien and an evil space hero. Although I didn't post them above, I did many more roughs and had redone my drawings many times.

It was kind of a painful process, but I am glad than I finally resolve the story, from realizing that it would be easier to be clear about the background(location) of the story. I had problems deciding solutions and I am a little regretful about giving up original ideas too soon. Anyway this was really a great exercise and I am glad that I finish them in time.


This assignment is to create a picture of an audition, which must includes three classes of people. I misunderstood the assignment at first and the three panels below are my roughs. But I kept the original idea of a "monster(or actually kaiju)" audition.



And this one is actually the first assignment. We wrote a short story of overcoming the monster and then also made drawings along the story.

I really like this class. It was also great to see other people's stories. AlthoughI am not that satisfied with my final works, I felt I learned a lot from the class. I hope I could get better at thinking stories and also making my works to have more stories to look at.


1 comment: